Centre for Science, Technology and Innovation Indicators
The Centre for Science, Technology and Innovation Indicators (CeSTII) is a statistical and policy research unit located within the Human Sciences Research Council (HSRC).
CeSTII is the leader in the field of national surveys that underpin benchmarking, planning and reporting on R&D, and innovation in South Africa. We adapt best practice international methodologies for measurement of science, technology and innovation (STI) indicators, within a framework of innovation for inclusive development. Established in 2001, CeSTII:
- conducts national R&D and innovation surveys on behalf of the South African Department of Science and Technology, and,
- produces national indicators and analysis from survey results to provide inputs for policy makers, and a basis for international comparisons.
Surveys we conduct on a regular basis include the:
- South African National Survey on Research and Experimental Development (R&D Survey); and the,
- South African Business Innovation Survey.
Studies we have worked on in collaboration with national and international partners include the:
- South African National Survey of Intellectual Property and Technology Transfer in Publicly Funded Research Institutions: Inaugural Baseline Study (2008-2014); and
- African Innovation Outlook.