Centre for Science, Technology and Innovation Indicators
CeSTII, at a glance
The Centre for Science, Technology and Innovation Indicators is a statistical and policy research unit located within the Human Sciences Research Council.
Established in 2001, CeSTII:
- conducts national R&D and innovation surveys on behalf of the South African Department of Science and Innovation ›, and,
- produces national indicators and analysis from survey results to provide inputs for policy makers, and a basis for international comparisons.
Global methods, local context
The Centre for Science, Technology and Innovation Indicators adapts best practice international methodologies for measurement of science, technology and innovation (STI) indicators. Surveys we conduct on a regular basis include:
- South African National Survey of Research and Experimental Development (R&D Survey)
- South African Business Innovation Survey
Studies we have worked on collaboratively with national and international partners include:
- Survey of Innovation in the Informal Economy
- Engagement and Inclusive Development: Building the Interactive Capabilities of Universities and Science Councils
- South African National Survey of Intellectual Property and Technology Transfer in Publicly Funded Research Institutions: Inaugural Baseline Study, 2008-2014
- South African Survey of R&D in Agriculture, 2010/2011
- African Innovation Outlook