Who we are
IN THIS SECTION
- Build the institutional capabilities of CeSTII researchers to achieve its mandate.
- Undertake statistical surveys to national and international quality standards that support the measurement and analysis of STI indicators in South Africa.
- Contribute to and deepen the analysis of STI indicators in relation to challenges of economic growth and inclusive development, through scientific publications, data sharing, technical briefs, and international benchmarking studies.
- Contribute to data sharing, knowledge sharing and exchange with national, regional and global STI measurement and policy communities and other actors in the South African national system of innovation.
- Lead a new research agenda to inform the design of measures and indicators that can support and promote a national strategy of innovation for inclusive development, in line with the HSRC research focus on poverty and inequality.
Team CeSTII is made up of nearly 50 researchers, data analysts, and professional administrators from diverse academic and professional backgrounds.
The team is led by Dr Glenda Kruss, who was appointed Deputy Executive Director of CeSTII on 22 September 2016.
Dr Kruss is a widely recognised and acclaimed researcher of the relationship between firms, universities, and communities. Her recent books include:
- Linking universities and marginalised communities: South African case studies of innovation focused on livelihoods in informal settings (2016)
- Balancing multiple mandates: The changing roles of science councils in South Africa (2016)
- Academic interaction with social partners: Investigating the contribution of universities to economic and social development (2012)
Learn more about Glenda Kruss
CeSTII’s research leaders are:
The CeSTII Advisory Committee is an independent group of well-established scholars and science policy practitioners from all over the world. The Committee provides strategic research advice to CeSTII, including on aspects such as research design, methodology and data analysis.
Members of the Committee include:
- Professor Fred Gault
- Prof. Sunil Mani (Vice Chair)
- Mr Petrus Letaba
- Dr Erika Kraemer-Mbula
- Dr Jeffrey Orozco
- Dr Pedro Mendi
- Dr Ann Kingiri
- Prof. Susan Cozzens