Policy Action Network
Central to the HSRC’s vision of being a knowledge hub for the human and social sciences in South Africa and the rest of the African continent, are the following:
- networks and collaboration with partners,
- the dissemination of information and data, and
- the sharing of knowledge and expertise with various stakeholders.
In the virtual world, this collaboration is epitomised by websites known as “communities of practice”.
The Policy Action Network
The Policy Action Network (PAN) helps government and civil society partners in South Africa develop and implement transformative public policies by connecting them with relevant research, data and people.
- Visit the PAN website at: https://policyaction.org.za
What we do
We work with partners in four main areas:
- Evidence: We work with partners to map and synthesise research, reporting and evaluation material. This helps policy actors understand what current research says about possible interventions and outcomes, and helps them identify research gaps.
- Data: We assist with identifying research, statistical, administrative and citizen-generated data to support decision-making, advise on data governance and provide training to encourage wider data use.
- Networks: We support community and government-led networks of knowledge exchange for social action.
- Communication: We work with partners to explore new ways of sharing and engaging with research evidence and data using digital and traditional media.
The current focal policy areas are public health and gender, innovation and 4IR, climate resilience and local government.
Who we are
PAN is an initiative of the Human Sciences Research Council (HSRC) in South Africa, supported by the Department of Science and Innovation. PAN was established in 2011 and has provided evidence support in a number of areas related to poverty alleviation and development.
Partner with us
We welcome new ideas and proposals for collaboration so feel free to contact us by emailing email@example.com. You should receive a reply within a day or two.