Surveys show one in three adults in South Africa does not wear a mask when leaving home
DATE: 21 October 2020
AUTHOR: Maverick Citizen
By Stephen Rule, Kelebohile Afrika, Ngqapheli Mchunu and Samela Mtyingizane
The University of Johannesburg and Human Sciences Research Council Covid-19 democracy survey conducted from April to September asked respondents whether, and how regularly, they wear a face mask when leaving their homes. Full compliance was low (37%) early in April during the initial weeks of lockdown level 5. It increased to 50% of adults by the end of April. The practice peaked and stabilised at just over 70% in July, August and September. Among the other 30% of adults, 20% said that they wear a mask “most of the time” and about 7%, “some of the time”. Only 2% revealed that they never (or not often) wear a mask and 1% did not want to say.
To read the full article online click here