Development of a Blue Economy Core Group
The Human Sciences Research Council (HSRC), under the membership of the Republic of South Africa seeks to coordinate the development of the IORA Blue Economy Joint Working Group, which entails a framework for academic cooperation and researcher exchanges in the areas of blue growth, and provides support for networking in these areas in the form of several workshops to promote joint activities related to the blue economy, and especially
1. Maritime safety and security
2. Aquaculture and food security
In the longer term, the focus will be expanded to include Shipping, and Oil and Gas Exploration.
Aims and objectives: What does the project seek to achieve?
The project seeks to:
- Concentrate on the blue economy (also known as blue growth) within the context of the IORA.
- Coordinate the development of the IORA Blue Economy Joint Working Group, which entails a framework for researcher exchanges in member countries
- Provide support for networking measures in the form of several workshops to promote cooperation activities.
- Create an active community of research-based institutions interested in the blue economy.
- Establish closer links with universities and research-based institutions in the region.
- Build capacity, by empowering a younger generation of researchers, academics and scholars to take ownership of their research environment and to aid in shaping its direction.
- Produce peer reviewed research outputs that can inform regional and national policy-making related to the blue economy.