Population Health, Health Systems and Innovation
Committed To Excellence In Research, Training and Service Delivery
Our major national surveys include the annual National R&D Survey (forms part of our national statistics); the South African Innovation Survey, the Biotechnology Audit and the two newly launched first in the country, South African National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (SANHANES)
- Maternal and child mortality surveillance
- Agricultural Research and Development Survey.
Our Centre for Science, Technology and Innovation Indicators (CeSTII) focuses research on the development of Science and Technology Indicators including Knowledge Economy Indicators, and the use of such indicators within the national system of innovation.
Our Centre for the Study of the Social and Environmental Determinants of Nutrition (CSSEDN) focuses on research which includes non-communicable diseases and food security.
Specific research themes covered within PHHSI:
- Science, Technology and Innovation Indicators (STII)
- Knowledge economy
- Life course, lifestyles and health
- Demographic profile of South Africa
- Infant, child and maternal health including reproductive health
- Family and child protection strategies
- Population health including malaria
- Determinants of health: smoking, alcohol,stress, drugs, physical activity/fitness and other social factors
- Social medicine and community health
- Environmental health
- Mental health
- Health systems
- Gender analysis is integrated throughout the research themes.
Find out more about the Population Health, Health Systems and Innovation Department.
Contact details: +27(0)21 466 1218