Social Aspects of Public Health
Embracing Positive Living For Our People
HAST has conducted many groundbreaking studies on, among others, the following topics:
- National HIV surveillance including HIV incidence both in the general population as well as in different sectors of the economy such as among educators and health workers in the public sector
- Social and behavioural prevention intervention research on HIV, STIs and TB including reducing the impact of alcohol abuse, HIVAIDS-related stigma, and gender-based violence and using different models of HIV counselling and testing (HCT)
- Various interventions to mitigate the impact of HIV on orphans and vulnerable children
- Monitoring and impact evaluations of national HIV/AIDS, STIs and TB programmes including aspects of the National Strategic Plan (NSP) on HIV/AIDS and STIs in South Africa. We have also played a major role in undertaking the first Know-Your-Epidemic and Know-Your-Response (KYR) analysis on HIV/AIDS in South Africa on behalf of SANAC
- Operational and implementation research on evidence-based interventions such as Prevention of Mother-to-Child Transmission (PMTCT), medical male circumcision, home-and clinicbased HCT including couples testing, HIV and STIs prevention among people who are HIVpositive including both men who have sex with men (MSM) and sex workers, and prevention of medical transmission of TB.
Find out more about the HAST Department.
Contact details: +27(0)21 466 7946