South African research ethics committee review of standards of prevention in HIV vaccine trial protocols
If you would like to obtain a copy of this Research Output, please contact Hanlie Baudin at email@example.com.
HIV prevention trials provide a prevention package to participants to help prevent HIV acquisition. As new prevention methods are proven effective, this raises ethical and scientific design complexities regarding the prevention package or standard of prevention. Given its high HIV incidence and prevalence, South Africa has become a hub for HIV prevention research. For this reason, it is critical to study the implementation of relevant ethical-legal frameworks for such research in South Africa. This qualitative study used in-depth interviews to explore the practices and perspectives of eight members of South African research ethics committees (RECs) who have reviewed protocols for HIV vaccine trials. Their practices and perspectives are compared with ethics guideline requirements for standards of prevention.
Related Research Outputs:
- Setting the tone - biomedical advances
- Current research work on positive prevention in South Africa: an update and way forward
- Update on research on positive prevention interventions in South Africa
- Shared and SAHARA (social aspects of HIV/AIDS research alliance)
- Review of the HIV/AIDS policy, legislation, financing & implementation of programmes in Mozambique
- South Africa's first national population-based HIV/AIDS behavioural risks, sero-status and media impact survey (SABSSM) research project: first quarterly progress report
- A review of HIV/AIDS policy, financing, legislation and programmes: South African case study: Draft
- The impact of HIV/AIDS on the health sector: national survey of health personnel, ambulatory and hospitalised patients and health facilities, 2002
- Prevention of mother to child transmission: a report of an assessment of a pilot programme in fifteen health facilities in Gauteng province
- A comparative analysis of the financing of HIV/AIDS programmes in Botswana, Lesotho, Mozambique, South Africa, Swaziland and Zimbabwe, October 2003
- HIV/AIDS/STD knowledge, attitudes, beliefs and behaviours in a rural South African adult population
- Moving beyond the sledgehammer: a personal response to the HSRC's research ethics policy
- Traditional healers on board to fight HIV/AIDS
- HIV/AIDS impact assessment study project: first trimester report March - July 2006
- Bush and the global gag rule: trick or treat?
- Evaluation of HIV/AIDS prevention intervention messages on a rural sample of South African youth's knowledge, attitudes, beliefs and behaviours over a period of 15 months
- HIV/AIDS/STD prevention intervention messages: an evaluation of the knowledge, attitudes and beliefs of a rural South African sample
- HIV prevention intervention among low-income women in South Africa: a randomized control trial 1
- Containment and contagion: how to strengthen families to support youth HIV prevention in South Africa
- Community collaborative youth-focused HIV/AIDS prevention in South Africa and Trinidad: preliminary findings