How well is R&D oriented to human development in South Africa?
Download this report
If you would like to obtain a copy of this Research Output, please contact Hanlie Baudin at email@example.com.
To measure policy progress, one key science, technology and innovation (STI) indicator has long captured the
imagination of policy makers: gross domestic research and development expenditure (GERD) expressed as a
proportion of the gross domestic product (GDP) of a country (GERD/GDP). In the context of South Africa,
which was recently estimated to be the most unequal in the world, we need additional indicators to guide national
expenditure to achieve the newly formulated policy goals and strategies of STI for ???inclusive and sustainable
development???. This policy brief proposes a design for such a complementary indicator ??? human development oriented research and development (R&D) intensity ??? and shows how it can be used to assess progress. The goal is to shift the policy discourse to leverage a greater scale of investment in R&D oriented to human development.
Related Research Outputs:
- Book review: Goetz, A.M., Hassim, S. (eds.) (2003). No shortcuts to power: African women in politics and policy making. Cape Town: Zed Books. 246 p. ISBN 1842771477
- The elusiveness of integration: policy discources on open and distance learning in the 1990s
- Changing modes: a brief overview of the mode 2 knowledge debate and its impact on South African policy formulation
- Interest group participation in the National Economic Development and Labour Council (NEDLAC)
- Equity, development, and new knowledge production: an overview of the new higher education policy environment in post-apartheid South Africa
- Globalization and emerging trends in African states' foreign policy-making process
- Evidence, policies and practices: continuities and discontinuities in mental health promotion in a developing country
- Newspaper coverage of South African tobacco issues, 1997-2001
- The interface between research and policy dialogue: symbolic or substantive
- The interface between research and policy dialogue: substantive or symbolic?
- Improving the links between research, policy and implementation
- Skills development in very small and micro enterprises: issues for policy and practice
- The state of policy, practice and research for south African public further education and training sector: a decade on
- The politics of economic policy-making: substantive uncertainty, political leverage, and human development
- Non-racialism on the eve of 2000: the South African gallery of survey data and notes on policy-making
- Indicators for children, families and the elderly
- Regional policy and planning in South Africa
- The politics of economic policy-making: substantive uncertainty, political leverage and human development
- The evolution and experience of urban policy in South Africa
- Dilemmas of social science policy research in Africa: reflections on experiences of the Human Sciences Research Council in South Africa