Prevalence of self-reported HIV testing and associated factors among adolescent girls and young women in South Africa: results from a 2017 nationally representative population-based HIV survey
If you would like to obtain a copy of this Research Output, please contact Hanlie Baudin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This article estimated the prevalence of self-reported HIV testing and identified associated factors among sexually active adolescent girls and young women (AGYW), aged 15-24 years, in South Africa. Study design: This is a secondary data analysis of a nationally representative population-based cross-sectional multi-stage cluster survey of households in South Africa conducted in 2017. Descriptive statistics were used to describe AGYW characteristics and the multivariable logistic regression model was used to determine factors associated with HIV testing. All analyses were adjusted for unequal sampling probabilities using survey weights. From the 1360 AGYW analysed (70.3% aged 20-24 years, 89.0% Black African, 95.5% unmarried, 88.7% unemployed), 1154 (estimate 85.8% (95% Confidence Interval (CI): 83.0 to 88.1)) had ever tested for HIV. In adjusted analysis, AGYW who had been pregnant in the past 24 months (adjusted Odds Ratio [aOR] 3.67, 95%CI: 1.68 to 8.02), were older (20-24 years: aOR 3.13, 95%CI: 1.86 to 5.28), or did not use condoms consistently compared to using them every time (almost every time: aOR 3.31, 95%CI: 1.07 to 10.22; sometimes: aOR 2.54, 95%CI: 1.29 to 4.98) had significantly higher odds of ever testing for HIV. This research identified an unmet need for HIV testing among AGYW and increasing awareness of HIV counselling and testing among AGYW in South Africa is recommended.
Related Research Outputs:
- Results of a couples-based randomized controlled trial aimed to increase testing for HIV
- Adolescent HIV self-management: lived experiences of adolescents, caregivers, and health care workers in a South African context
- Zwakala Ndoda: a cluster and individually randomized trial aimed at improving testing, linkage, and adherence to treatment for hard-to reach men in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
- Mobile sexual health services for adolescents: investigating the acceptability of youth-directed mobile clinic services in Cape Town, South Africa
- Differences in uptake of the DREAMS intervention in Lesotho among adolescent girls and young women
- Development of a cultural and contextual appropriate HIV self-management instrument using interpretive phenomenology and focus group cognitive interviews
- Be legally wise: when is parental consent required for adolescents' access to pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP)?
- Things less spoken: HIV research with adolescent boys and young men Implications for theory, policy and practice
- Closing the gap in programming for adolescents living with HIV in eastern and southern Africa: the role of social protection in positive prevention
- 'Being ALHIV': what do we know about adolescents living with HIV in South Africa?: fact sheet
- Trends and determinants of ever having tested for HIV among youth and adults in South Africa from 2005-2017: results from four repeated cross-sectional nationally representative household-based HIV prevalence, incidence, and behaviour surveys
- The psychosocial determinants of the intention to test for HIV among young men in KwaZulu-Natal province, South Africa
- Predictors of suboptimal adherence to isoniazid preventive therapy among adolescents and children living with HIV
- Being ALHIV and staying alive: what do we know about adolescents living with HIV in South Africa?
- The substantial burden of non-communicable diseases and HIV-comorbidity amongst adults: screening results from an integrated HIV testing services clinic for adults in Soweto, South Africa
- Adolescents living with HIV in South Africa
- Prevalence and factors associated with intimate partner violence among the adolescent girls and young women in South Africa: findings the 2017 population based cross-sectional survey
- Prevalence and factors associated with intimate partner violence among adolescent girls and young women in in South Africa: summary of findings: factsheet
- Sexual risk behaviours, gender, & age dimensions of the adolescent HIV epidemic in South Africa
- Geographical variation in HIV testing in South Africa: evidence from the 2017 national household HIV survey