Women in the civil service: has South Africa got the balance right?
If you would like to obtain a copy of this Research Output, please contact Hanlie Baudin at email@example.com.
This paper examines gender related issues within the public service, specifically the civil service, focusing on what is often rendered to as the Senior Management Service (SMS). At the heart of the debate is an assessment of how women experience marginalisation and uncertainty, given the government's affirmative action policy, the difficulties of investigating especially gender related issues inside government departments and what we already know about gender imbalances within civil service and the attempts to redress these. Finally, the paper examines the views of selected women inside government departments on these issues.
Related Research Outputs:
- 'All mouth and no trousers'
- The 'great' debate
- Tripping up: AIDS, pharmaceuticals and intellectual property in South Africa
- Reclaiming our lives: HIV and AIDS, women's land and property rights and livelihoods in southern and East Africa: narratives and responses
- The land and property rights of women and orphans in the context of HIV and AIDS: case studies from Zimbabwe
- Women's property rights, HIV/AIDS and domestic violence: South Africa country report
- Women's property rights: HIV and AIDS & domestic violence: research findings from two districts in South Africa and Uganda
- Experience of abuse among women in a rural subdistrict of Limpopo province, South Africa
- Good practice for addressing violence against women in South Africa
- Are woman moving forward in the South African public service?
- Women are weak when they are amongst men: participation in rural water committees in South Africa
- Book review: Goetz, A.M., Hassim, S. (eds.) (2003). No shortcuts to power: African women in politics and policy making. Cape Town: Zed Books. 246 p. ISBN 1842771477
- Ten-year review presidential project: nation building and reconciliation: the public service commission: the public protector
- An investigation of wage levels and wage inequality in the South African public sector: findings from the labour force survey, September 2001
- Democracy and governance review: Mandela's legacy 1994-1999
- Teleworking within government departments
- Governance and institutional trust in South Africa: November 1999-September 2000
- Facts, fiction and fabrication?: service delivery in South Africa under Mandela
- Perception of service and infrastructure under President Mbeki
- Women marching into the 21st century: wathint' abafazi, wathint' imbokodo