The challenges HIV/AIDS poses to nurses in their work environment
: HIV/AIDS in the workplace: symposium proceedings OUTPUT TYPE
: Chapter in Monograph PUBLICATION YEAR
: HEALTH SERVICES
, WORKING CONDITIONS
: HSRC Library: shelf number 3371
If you would like to obtain a copy of this Research Output, please contact Hanlie Baudin at email@example.com.
The aim of this paper is to take a closer look at the challenges that HIV/AIDS poses to nurses in South African health facilities, as well as the impact that it may have on future health care provision. It is argued that HIV/AIDS is not the only factor that impacts on nurses in South African health facilities, but that political and economic change, an increase in the demand for health services, a shrinking nursing corps and unsatisfactory working conditions contribute to the challenges faced by them. The effect of all these factors could seriously threaten the quality of health care in South Africa.
Related Research Outputs:
- Pediatric nursing in the context of the HIV/AIDS epidemic in resource-poor settings - balancing the "art and the science"
- Utilisation of the national antiretroviral therapy guidelines among health care professionals working in Abuja treatment centres, Nigeria
- HIV/AIDS in South Africa: entitlement and rights to health-implications of the 2002 household survey
- The impact of HIV/AIDS on the health sector: national survey of health personnel, ambulatory and hospitalised patients and health facilities, 2002
- Nursing attrition and the work environment in South African health facilities
- Bush and the global gag rule: trick or treat?
- HIV risk exposure among young children: a study of 2-9 year olds served by public health facilities in the Free State, South Africa
- Workplace policies in public education: a review focusing on HIV/AIDS
- Potential attrition in education: the impact of job satisfaction, morale, workload and HIV/AIDS
- Policy versus reality: a preliminary assessment of the South African code of good practice on HIV/AIDS and key aspects of employment
- Education and health services (including HIV/AIDS and gender)
- Strengthening systems to support children's healthy development in communities affected by HIV/AIDS
- An assessment of the capacity needs of the public service in South Africa with regard to the implementation of HIV and AIDS workplace programmes
- The development and dynamics of HIV/AIDS committees in the South African workplace
- Managing HIV in the workplace: learning from SMEs
- HIV/AIDS workplace policies in Eastern Cape tertiary institutions
- Traditional healing and STI/HIV/AIDS/TB in South Africa: a participants' manual for tradtional health practitioners, community health workers and nurses
- Traditional healing and STI/HIV/AIDS/TB in South Africa: a trainers' manual for tradtional health practitioners, community health workers and nurses
- Evaluation of alcohol screening and brief intervention in routine practice of primary care nurses in Vhembe district, South Africa
- Traditional healers and nurses: a qualitative study on their role on sexually transmitted infections including HIV and AIDS in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa