Marriage, citizenship and contested meanings
If you would like to obtain a copy of this Research Output, please contact Hanlie Baudin at email@example.com.
The chapter explores the contested meanings of same-sex marriage in the broader national debate about identity, sexuality, gender in a human rights context. The chapter highlights the gendered dimension of marriage in relation to same-sex marriage and the legal, social and political meanings that accrue within this debate.
Related Research Outputs:
- Book review: Reddy, V., Sandfort, T., Rispel, L. (eds). 2009. From social silence to social science: same-sex sexuality, HIV & AIDS and gender in South Africa: conference proceedings. Cape Town: HSRC Press. 252 pp. ISBN: 978-0-7969-2276-2
- African same-sex sexualities and gender-diversity: an introduction
- Feminist intellectual activism: within and beyond the academy: constructions of 'whiteness', gender and sexuality in South African magazines
- 'Even animals of the same sex don't take this route': politics, rights and identity about same-sex marriage in South Africa
- Power and identity: an introduction to sexualities in southern Africa
- Gender, power and resistance to change among two communities in the Western Cape, South Africa
- International research project on pedagogies of gender & sexuality in higher education: South Africa
- 'There's got to be a man in there': reading intersections between gender, race and sexuality in South African magazines
- Taking research and prevention forward
- Queer marriage: sexualising citizenship and the development of freedoms in South Africa
- The prize and the price: Shaping sexualities in South Africa
- Are South African HIV policies and programmes meeting the needs of same-sex practising individuals?
- Constructs of identity and HIV risk behaviours among men who have sex with men (MSM) in two South African cities
- Being straight and being gay: identity or multiple desire: the case of South Africa
- The country we want to live in: hate crimes and homophobia in the lives of black lesbian South Africans
- Identity, law, justice: thinking about sexual rights and citizenship in post-apartheid South Africa
- Women's rights and lesbian rights
- Regional baseline survey to establish children's KAPB in relation to sexuality and gender, access to sexuality and HIV information and sexual and reproductive health services in Zambia and South Africa
- (B)order(s) Aids review 2011
- After-nine, 429, he-she, stabane, and gay, bisexual and other 'men sleeping with men': diversity in black South African MSM identities and implications for HIV prevention