Queer marriage: sexualising citizenship and the development of freedoms in South Africa
: The prize and the price: shaping sexualities in South Africa OUTPUT TYPE
: Chapter in Monograph PUBLICATION YEAR
: V.ReddySOURCE EDITOR(S)
: M.Steyn, M.Van ZylKEYWORDS
, SAME-SEX MARRIAGE
, SEXUAL BEHAVIOUR
: HSRC Library: shelf number 5759
If you would like to obtain a copy of this Research Output, please contact Hanlie Baudin at email@example.com.
The chapter offers a queer theoretical reading and analysis of same-sex marriage in South Africa. The core argument situates marriage in terms of the unfolding jurisprudence that decriminalized same-sex sexuality in South Africa, and outlines meanings of same-sex marriage in the broader national debate about identity, sexuality, gender in a human rights context. The conclusions highlight the relevance of marriage in terms of forging identity politics and the challenges to identity politics when rights are infringed.
Related Research Outputs:
- Book review: Reddy, V., Sandfort, T., Rispel, L. (eds). 2009. From social silence to social science: same-sex sexuality, HIV & AIDS and gender in South Africa: conference proceedings. Cape Town: HSRC Press. 252 pp. ISBN: 978-0-7969-2276-2
- African same-sex sexualities and gender-diversity: an introduction
- Constructions of whiteness, gender, class and sexuality in South African English-medius men's and women's magazines
- The fatherhood project: confronting issues of masculinity and sexuality
- Gender attitudes, sexual violence, and HIV/AIDS risks among men and women in Cape Town, South Africa
- Gender role attitudes and sexual risk
- "Feeling the disconnect": teaching sexualities and gender in South African higher education
- Marriage, citizenship and contested meanings
- International research project on pedagogies of gender & sexuality in higher education: South Africa
- Taking research and prevention forward
- Gender attitudes, sexual power, HIV risk: a model for understanding HIV risk behavior of South African men
- The prize and the price: Shaping sexualities in South Africa
- Are South African HIV policies and programmes meeting the needs of same-sex practising individuals?
- Xenophobic attitudes, gender and sexuality
- Researching the pedagogies of sexualities in South African higher education
- Masculinity, the body & power relations
- Regional baseline survey to establish children's KAPB in relation to sexuality and gender, access to sexuality and HIV information and sexual and reproductive health services in Zambia and South Africa
- "Gays have money": the gendered nature and meanings of transactional sex among black men who have sex with men in South Africa
- Is HIV fraying the edges of gender and sexuality?: some ideas towards new ways of thinking 'on writing AIDS Review 2011'
- Race and sexual desire in the construction of identities: agency, race, gender, and desire in Zef music