Obstacles in executing preventions plans for HIV birth infections
If you would like to obtain a copy of this Research Output, please contact Hanlie Baudin at email@example.com.
Good programmes to prevent the transmission of HIV from mother-to-child during birth (PMTCT programmes) exist, but what prevents the proper implementation of these programmes in the Eastern Cape? Nancy Phaswana-Mafuya, a director in the Social Aspects of HIV/AIDS and Health research programme, presented a study at the Conference that shows that these obstacles are systemic, starting at provincial, district, facility, and community levels, right down to household levels.
Related Research Outputs:
- Prevention of mother to child transmission: a report of an assessment of a pilot programme in fifteen health facilities in Gauteng province
- Barriers to prevention of HIV transmission from mother to child (PMTCT) in a resource poor setting in the Eastern Cape, South Africa
- Programme to improve implementation of the Prevention of Mother to Child Transmission of HIV in Gert Sibande district in Mpumalanga, South Africa: baseline report: Gert Sibande PMTCT programme implementation
- Implementing a rural programme of Prevention of Mother-to-Child Transmission of HIV in Nkangala, South Africa: a baseline evaluation
- Promoting male involvement to improve PMTCT uptake and reduce antenatal HIV infection: a cluster randomized controlled trial protocol
- Review of the HIV/AIDS policy, legislation, financing & implementation of programmes in Mozambique
- A review of HIV/AIDS policy, financing, legislation and programmes: South African case study: Draft
- The impact of HIV/AIDS on the health sector: national survey of health personnel, ambulatory and hospitalised patients and health facilities, 2002
- A comparative analysis of the financing of HIV/AIDS programmes in Botswana, Lesotho, Mozambique, South Africa, Swaziland and Zimbabwe, October 2003
- The costing of a rural PMTCT pilot site in the Eastern Cape
- HIV/AIDS/STD knowledge, attitudes, beliefs and behaviours in a rural South African adult population
- Assessing the costs of a rural PMTCT pilot site in the eastern Cape
- Traditional healers on board to fight HIV/AIDS
- HIV/AIDS impact assessment study project: first trimester report March - July 2006
- Bush and the global gag rule: trick or treat?
- Evaluation of HIV/AIDS prevention intervention messages on a rural sample of South African youth's knowledge, attitudes, beliefs and behaviours over a period of 15 months
- HIV/AIDS/STD prevention intervention messages: an evaluation of the knowledge, attitudes and beliefs of a rural South African sample
- HIV prevention intervention among low-income women in South Africa: a randomized control trial 1
- Factors influencing the utilisation of prevention of mother-to-child-transmission (PMTCT) services by pregnant women in the eastern Cape, South Africa
- Containment and contagion: how to strengthen families to support youth HIV prevention in South Africa