The national liberation struggle in South Africa: a case study of the United Democratic Front, 1893-1987
If you would like to obtain a copy of this Research Output, please contact Hanlie Baudin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This study looks at the role of the strategy and tactics of the African National Congress (ANC) -led alliance as well as material and political grievances in generating popular protest and organisation to explain the emergence, nature, role and activities of the United Democratic Front (UDF) and its affiliates. It is argued that these two elements were the main factors underlying revolutionary developments in the 1980s.
Related Research Outputs:
- Trade unions & party politics: labour movements in Africa
- Party disintegrations & re-alignments in post-apartheid South Africa
- Breaking the impasse, beginning the change: labour market, unions and social initiative in Durban
- Top concord and casual labour-globalisation and livelihoods in the Durban docks
- The contested state of democracy in South Africa
- Book review: Goetz, A.M., Hassim, S. (eds.) (2003). No shortcuts to power: African women in politics and policy making. Cape Town: Zed Books. 246 p. ISBN 1842771477
- The centre-periphery in knowledge production in the twenty-first century
- Lesotho 2000: public perceptions and perspectives
- Politics, voting and elections
- Adolescents perceptions of the future of South Africa: a 40 year perspective
- Teledemocracy in South Africa
- Book review: Giliomee, H. & Simkins, C. (eds.) (1999) The akward embrace: one-party domination and democracy. Cape Town: Tafelberg. 368 pp
- The African union: the same old animal in new clothing?
- Africa in the contemporary world
- The individual in the group in the social, political, and economic context: implications for South Africa
- The Mbeki presidency: Lusaka wins
- Pretoria: a tale of cities and a century is a short time: (even three-and-a-half centuries is rather short a time)
- Debating the alliance: a response to Harvey
- Fighting marginalisation: can COSATU rely on the alliance?
- Southern Africa: a review of the region