A note on political institutions and democracy in Africa
If you would like to obtain a copy of this Research Output, please contact Hanlie Baudin at email@example.com.
This paper provides a study of constitutional frameworks in Africa since the mid-1950s, centered around a statistical correlation between constitutional frameworks, party systems, electoral systems and an Index of Democracy.
Related Research Outputs:
- Democracy in Africa: moving beyond a difficult legacy
- Book review: Legum, C. (2001) Africa since independence. Bloomington, Indiana: Indiana University Press.105pp. & Abrahamsen, R. Disciplining democracy: development discourse and good governance in Africa. London: Zed Books. 168pp. & Salih, M. (2001) African democracies and African politics. London: Pluto Press. 234pp
- Fragments of democracy: nationalism, development and the state in Africa
- Book review: Good, K. (2004) Liberal democracy in Africa: elites against democracy. London: Palgrave Books
- Legacies of power: leadership change and former presidents in African politics
- South Africa's role in conflict resolution and peacemaking in Africa: conference proceedings
- Rethinking the role of the African state in industrial development: building a democratic developmental state
- The developmental state in Africa - development for whom?
- Africa in South Africa: perceptions and realities in the 'regional space'
- Technology transformation and changing demographic patterns: perspectives for Africa
- Book review: Cheeseman, N. (ed.) 2018. Institutions and democracy in Africa: how the rules of the game shape political developments. Cambridge:Cambridge University Press. ISBN 97811071248246
- The role of the South African Human Rights Commission in ensuring state accountability to address poverty
- Who is in the driving seat?: development cooperation and democracy
- The contested state of democracy in South Africa
- Democracy in Africa: fragile and necessary but uncertain
- Book review: Goetz, A.M., Hassim, S. (eds.) (2003). No shortcuts to power: African women in politics and policy making. Cape Town: Zed Books. 246 p. ISBN 1842771477
- Empowerment and transformation in South Africa
- Ten-year review presidential project: nation building and reconciliation: the public service commission: the public protector
- Reconstruction and the reciprocal other: the philosophy and practice of "Ubuntu" and democracy in African society
- Democracy and governance review: Mandela's legacy 1994-1999